Tuesday, January 7, 2014

The Reader: Chapter 1-5 (Response to the text and an Ode to Students)

Sickness. Weakness. Vomit. Assault. These are the things that we start with in Schlink's The Reader. Not a particularly propitious beginning for what is to be a love story. Yet, at the same time, the chapter juxtaposes a strangely clean rescue: "clear" vomit, "wave[s] of water", "fresh sweat" (Schlink 5). Perhaps this is the central issue in The Reader: Michael Berg's struggle to confront the diseased yet pure relationship with Frau Schmitz. 

As I read through my student's responses, I am struck by the depth of their reflections on quotes to which I've never paid much attention before. In particular, many students noticed that Michael's recollections of buildings and surroundings starkly contradicted his inability to recall his lover's face. Annabel mentioned that this made the narrator's tone objective and scientific, and I totally agree… to an extent. I wonder, too, how much of this seemingly objective and factual recall is in fact Michael's attempt to give shape and structure to a past that is mired in doubt and questions.

And now for a reflection on the blogging process:

This is much harder than I anticipated, and I am definitely appreciative of all the efforts that my students are putting into their posts and their reflections. I once read that teachers should do the same work they assign their students. This attempt may be the end of me. We shall see! =)      

No comments:

Post a Comment